runnerGetting Started

The Most Important process in applying for financial aid is filing the free application for federal student aid (FAFSA) application each year. The FAFSA can be completed online at

Students applying for financial aid must meet the following:

  • Be a US Citizen or eligible non -citizen.
  • Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program.
  • Be maintaining satisfactory progress toward completion of a course of study.
  • Not be in default on any Federal Family Educational Loan Program.
  • Not owe a repayment to the Department of Education (DOE) on any grant funds previously awarded.

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid, FAFSA, or Renewal Application. To file electronically, visit the FAFSA website at  When completing the FAFSA, list Nueta Hidatsa Sahnish College as a college they plan to attend. NHSC College code is 015536. Submit Student Aid Report, SAR, to NHSC Financial Aid Office. To receive top consideration for financial aid, the FAFSA should be completed by March 15th. Applications will be accepted after this date; however, financial aid awards will depend upon the availability of funds. Students must complete the FAFSA for each year financial aid is requested.

imgCChecklist (Documents to have before applying)

  • Your Social Security Number. Be sure it is correct!
  • Your driver’s license (if any)
  • Your  W-2 Forms and other records of money earned
  • Your (and your spouse´s, if you are married)  Federal Income Tax Return.
    • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
    • Foreign Tax Return, or
    • Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Your  W-2 Forms and other records of money earned
  • Your  untaxed income records
    • Veterans non-education benefit records
    • Child support received
    • Worker’s compensation
  • Your current bank statements
  • Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
  • Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)